Replacement of Graduation Certificates


  1. The graduation certificate of the University is a unique document.  No duplicate copy will be issued.  However, a graduate may apply for a replacement certificate in case of loss or damage of an original certificate.  Application for replacement due to change of name after graduation will not be accepted.

  2. A graduate shall only be in possession of ONE valid copy, including the replacement copy, of the certificate, for each degree and/or diploma at any given time.  In other words, if a certificate, previously reported lost, was subsequently found, the graduate concerned is required to return any extra copy for destruction.

  3. A replacement certificate shall in general follow the current format of the graduation certificate*, with an additional statement “This certificate is reissued on (DD/MM/YYYY)”, and the replacement shall also bear the signatures of the current University officers.

    (* If only the degree/diploma name (but not the programme name) was shown on the original certificate, the replacement certificate, if issued, shall also bear the degree/diploma name only.)

  4. Replacement certificates are to be issued each year at the time of the Congregation. Application deadline for replacement certificate is 1 November or the first working day of November of each year if 1 November is a Saturday/Sunday. Normally, replacement certificate will be issued in December of the same year. 

  5. To apply for a replacement certificate, a graduate shall:

    (a) submit a completed application form for each replacement certificate
    (b) (i) present  of  his/her HKID card / passport; or
      (ii) submit a certified true copy of his/her HKID card/passport;
    (c) (i) submit the original certificate (for damaged certificate to be kept by the University for destruction); or
      (ii) present the original of the relevant documentary evidence, e.g., police report / notarized statement (for lost certificate); and
    (d) submit the replacement fee – HK$800 for each replacement certificate

    Applications should be sent to the Graduate School.  The request for replacement shall only be processed after all the relevant documents and the replacement fee have been received.

  6. Payment methods:
    (a) By EPS at the counter of the Graduate School.
    (b) By cheque/bank draft of HK$800 made payable to “The Chinese University of Hong Kong”.
  7. Graduates of the Postgraduate Diploma in Education and Advanced Postgraduate Diploma in Education should enquire at/submit applications to the Faculty of Education.

  8. Application Form      

  9. For enquiries, please contact the Graduate School.