Graduation assessment will be conducted when students are about to reach the expected graduation date. The process is as follows:
1. Is it required for graduating students to apply for graduation?
No, students do not have to apply for graduation. When students are about to reach the expected graduation date and after the grade for all courses taken have been released, the Graduate School will arrange to conduct graduation assessment for the students. If the student fulfils all graduation requirement of the programme (including course work, etc.), he/she will be recommended for graduation. If a student wishes to be considered for graduation before the normative study end date, he/she should apply for shortening of normative study period. The application form can be downloaded at GS Platform (Students).
2. After completion of study, is it necessary to apply for certifying letter and/or transcript?
A complimentary set of certifying letter and full transcript (student copy) will be sent to student after the recommendation for graduation is endorsed by the Graduate Council. Students who wish to obtain additional copy of transcript and/or certifying letter may submit applications at the section "Request Official Documents".
3. How long does it take to receive the complimentary set of certifying letter and full transcript?
Normally, the complimentary set of certifying letter and full transcript will reach students about 2 months after fulfilment of all graduation requirements (i.e. after release of grades for all courses taken).
4. Is it possible to speed up the graduation process or obtain the proof of graduation sooner?
The Graduate School will process the graduation assessment and issue the proof of graduation to students as soon as possible. Frequent enquiry to the Graduate School and Graduate Division on the progress may slow down the process.
5. The Immigration Department requires a certifying letter from CUHK as supporting documents for application of IANG (Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates) entry permit. Is it possible to obtain a certifying letter before receiving the complimentary copy?
Students may apply for a certifying letter to apply for IANG after the recommendation for graduation is endorsed by the Graduate Division (i.e. after Step 4). Students may wish to check with Graduate Division on the progress of graduation assessment before applying for the certifying letter.
6. How will the complimentary set of certifying letter and transcript be sent?
Normally, the complimentary set of certifying letter and transcript will be sent to students by registered mail. To ensure proper delivery, please check and update the contact information in MyCUHK portal.
7. What will happen if I am unable to fulfil all graduation requirements by the expected graduation date?
Students who are unable to graduate will be informed of the result of graduation assessment accordingly. Students who are required to continue with their studies will be asked to renew their student ID card.
8. When will the graduation certificate be issued? How will it be sent to me?
The graduation certificates will be issued after the Congregation which is held in November/December each year. Students will be informed of the details of Congregation, graduation ceremony and collection of graduation certificate in October/November. Students may refer to the Congregation website for details.