Graduation assessment will be conducted when students are about to reach the expected graduation date. The process is as follows:




Students Graduating in 2022-23 and 2023-24

Students Graduating in 2024-25 and onwards





FAQ (Graduation)


1. Is it required for graduating students to apply for graduation?
No, students do not have to apply for graduation. When students are about to reach the expected graduation date and after the grade for all courses taken have been released, the Graduate School will conduct graduation assessment for the students. If the student fulfils all graduation requirements of the programme (including course work, etc.), he/she will be recommended for graduation. If a student wishes to be considered for graduation before the normative study end date, he/she should apply for shortening of normative study period. The application form can be downloaded at GS Platform (Students).


2. After completion of study, is it necessary to apply for certifying letter and/or transcript?
A complimentary set of certifying letter and full transcript (student copy) will be sent to student after the Senate’s recommendation for graduation is obtained as endorsed by the Graduate Council. The certifying letter states the date that the Senate of the University has approved to award the student the degree/diploma/certificate and the date that the graduate certificate will be issued. Students may obtain additional copies of transcript and certifying letters by sending an application online via the e-system "Request Official Documents".


3. Is it possible to speed up the graduation process or obtain the proof of graduation sooner?

The Graduate School will process the graduation assessment and issue the proof of graduation to students as soon as possible.  The procedure of requesting official documents can be found in Q&A 4 immediately below. 


4. How long does it take to receive the complimentary set of certifying letter and full transcript?

Normally, the complimentary set of certifying letter and full transcript will be sent to students about 2 months after students’ fulfilment of all graduation requirements (i.e. after release of grades for all courses taken and/or submission of final thesis and after the completion of conferral procedures for the relevant academic awards).


The fast track measure for graduands is to apply for the official documents: transcripts, certifying letters and etc by submitting applications online via  The normal processing time is set out in section 5 of the webpage at


Important Note for Graduands.


1.  Certifying letter for degree verification purposes for graduands will be offered upon the receipt of the graduand’s application.
2. As to when the certifying letter will become available, it will depend on the formal conferral procedural stages (i.e., grade release, Graduate Division’s confirmation of graduation assessment results, GCExCo endorsement of the graduation status of the concerned student and Senate approval).
3. The certifying letter will reflect as to whether GCExCo has endorsed or Senate has approved the relevant academic awards.  Senate approval will not be stated on the letter before it has actually taken place. 


5. How will the complimentary set of certifying letter and transcript be sent?
Normally, the complimentary set of certifying letter and transcript will be sent to students by Registered Mail of Hongkong Post. To ensure proper delivery, please check and update the contact information in MyCUHK portal. Mail address in Mainland China/Taiwan must be input in Chinese with the recipient’s phone number also stated in the address field to facilitate delivery.


6. The Immigration Department requires a certifying letter from CUHK as supporting documents for application of IANG (Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates) entry permit. Is it possible to obtain a certifying letter before receiving the complimentary copy?
Students may apply for a certifying letter to apply for IANG after the recommendation for graduation is endorsed by the Graduate Division. Students may wish to check with Graduate Division on the progress of graduation assessment before applying for the certifying letter.


7. What will happen if I am unable to fulfil all graduation requirements by the expected graduation date?
Students who are unable to graduate will be informed of the result of graduation assessment accordingly. Students who are required to continue with their studies will be asked to renew their student ID card.


8. When will the graduate certificate be issued? How will it be sent to me?

The graduate certificates will normally be issued approximately one month after the degree conferment date. To cater for the needs of students, however, the University has made deliberate arrangement to enable the award certificates be available sooner. For students whose degree is to be conferred on 31 July 2024, their degree certificate will be available for collection from 8 August 2024 onwards (to be confirmed).  An email regarding the arrangement for collection of graduate certificates will be announced to the respective graduates in due course. The announcement will also be posted on the General Announcements of the GSO’s website in due course.


9. I was unable to collect the graduate certificate myself.  How can I collect the graduate certificate?

You can collect your graduate certificate in person during our office hours.  If you are unable to collect it by yourself and would like to collect it by a representative, please ask your representative to come during our office hours by presenting the following documents:
(1) A printout of the completed “Authorization Form for Collection of Graduate Certificate”;
(2) A photocopy of the graduate’s HKID/passport; and
(3) The original copy of the HKID card/passport of the authorized person for verification purposes. The authorized person’s identification details should match with that on the “Authorization Form for Collection of Graduate Certificate”.
The authorized person will be required to sign and acknowledge receipt of the graduate certificate on behalf of the graduate.


10. How to get my Alumni ID so that I can gain access to MyCUHK?

@Link Alumni Email Service Promotional Video


Tutorial video on MyCUHK functions


Tutorial video on logging in to MyCUHK