Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
- Established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) in 2009.
- Aims to attract the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD programmes in Hong Kong's universities.
- Provides a monthly stipend of HK$26,900 (approx. US$3,450) and a conference travel allowance of HK$13,500 (approx. US$1,730) per year during the normative study period for up to three years.
CUHK Vice-Chancellor HKPFS Scholarship
- Offers HKPFS awardees a tuition fee waiver for their whole normative study period.
- Provides an award of HK$40,000 (approx. US$5,130) for lodging in the first year of study and HK$20,000 in the subsequent years within the normative study period*
- The on-campus hostel fee will be waived in the first year of study.
- Guaranteed on-campus accommodation during the normative period of study to HKPFS awardees who submit timely applications.
- For HKPFS awardees with a normative study period of four years, CUHK provides stipend and conference travel allowance at HKPFS level for the fourth year.
* Applicable from the 2021-22 intake.
Applications are invited from 1 September 2021 (Hong Kong Time).
Submit an initial application to the RGC through their on-line application system and obtain a HKPFS reference number.
Each applicant may choose up to two programmes in each application.
RGC Application deadline: 1 December 2021 at 12noon (Hong Kong Time).
Submit your full application through CUHK’s Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes and quote the HKPFS reference number. Applicants who have chosen two CUHK programmes in the RGC's initial application are reminded to submit a separate application for each programme at CUHK.
CUHK Application deadline: 1 December 2021 at 5pm (Hong Kong Time).
Submit the required supporting documents.
CUHK Vice-Chancellor's PhD Scholarship Scheme
Starting from the 2020-21 intake, all PhD candidates who are nominated to RGC by CUHK but not selected for HKPFS will be offered a regular PhD place with the following Scholarship:
- An award of total HK$80,000 (approx. US$10,260) in three installments (HK$40,000 in the first year of attendance and HK$20,000 each in the second and third years subject to satisfactory study progress); and
- Studentships of HK$216,300 (approx. US$27,730) per annum within the normative study period.
“Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme at CUHK” Information Session Webinar
The webinar delivered by Prof. Pang Chui SHAW, Acting Dean of the Graduate School, was held on 3 November 2021. Please find the presentation here.