Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
- Established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) in 2009.
- Aims to attract the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD programmes in Hong Kong's universities.
- Provides a monthly stipend of HK$25,800 (approx. US$3,300) and a conference travel allowance of HK$12,900 (approx. US$1,655) per year during the normative study period for up to three years.
CUHK Vice-Chancellor HKPFS Scholarship
- Offers HKPFS awardees a tuition fee waiver for their whole normative study period.*#
- Provides an award of HK$20,000 (approx. US$2,570) for lodging in the first year of study of HKPFS awardees.*
- The on-campus hostel fee will be waived in the first year of study.*
- Guaranteed on-campus accommodation during the normative study period to HKPFS awardees who submit timely applications.
- For HKPFS awardees with a normative study period of four years, CUHK provides stipend and conference travel allowance at HKPFS level for the fourth year.
* Applicable from 2019-20 intake.
# In lieu of the CUHK Vice-Chancellor HKPFS Scholarship, a tuition waiver will be provided to local HKPFS awardees within their normative study period under the Tuition Waiver Scheme for Local Research Postgraduate (RPg) Students administered by University Grants Committee.
Applications are invited from 2 September 2019 (Hong Kong Time).
Submit an initial application to the RGC through their on-line application system and obtain a HKPFS reference number.
Each applicant may choose up to two programmes in each application.
RGC Application deadline: 2 December 2019 at 12:00 noon (Hong Kong Time).
Submit your full application through CUHK’s Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes and quote the HKPFS reference number. Applicants who have chosen two CUHK programmes in the RGC's initial application are reminded to submit a separate application for each programme at CUHK.
CUHK Application deadline: 2 December 2019 at 5pm (Hong Kong Time).
Submit the required supporting documents.
- Applications which are not selected for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme will be considered as normal applications, and if admitted, be offered a monthly postgraduate studentship of HK$17,330 (approx. US$2,220) during their normative study period.