- Established by the University Grants Committee (UGC) in 2019, the Targeted Taught Postgraduate Fellowships Scheme (the Scheme) provides fellowships for local students to pursue designated taught programmes.
- The main objectives of the Scheme are to attract more meritorious local students in priority areas conductive to the development of Hong Kong and to encourage universities to establish more innovative and multi-disciplinary programmes that are beneficial to society.
- For more details of the Scheme, please refer to UGC website.
- Awardees are required to pay a minimum tuition fee of HK$42,100 for the programme, and the differences will be subsidised by the fellowships subject to a cap of HK$120,000 for each student for the whole taught postgraduate programme, regardless of the actual study period.
- The fellowships will be used for the settlement of the tuition fee only.
- If the total tuition fee of a programme is HK$162,100 or below, the student will need to pay a tuition fee of HK$42,100, with the remainder covered by the fellowship.
- If the total tuition fee of a programme exceeds HK$162,100, the remaining balance after deducting the maximum amount of the fellowship (i.e. HK$120,000) will be borne by the student.
- Local students1 , both full-time and part-time, admitted2 to the designated TPg programmes of the University with effect from the 2020-21 Intake are eligible to apply for the Scheme.
- The fellowships will be awarded to students on a merit-bases basis; assessment criteria includes but not limited to the following:
- Academic achievements;
- Professional qualifications;
- Relevant working experience;
- Achievements in other areas; and
- Student’s personal statement regarding the commitment and plan on how they can contribute to the priority areas of Hong Kong after completing the programme.
- To avoid double subsidy, applications from students who are receiving other forms of government scholarship (except student financial assistance) for pursuing the same programme will not be considered.
1. The definitions of local and non-local students remain the same as that of other UGC-funded programmes. Except for students holding (i) student visa/entry permit; (ii) visa/entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for non-local graduates; or (iii) dependant visa/entry permit who were 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa/entry permit by the Director of Immigration, all other students will be treated as local students.
2. Only applicants who have got an admission offer, accepted the offer and settled the deposit will be considered for the Scheme.
- To submit an application for the UGC-approved TPg Programmes
- Contact the respective Programme Office to obtain an Application Form for the Scheme.
- Applicants for the Scheme should have admitted to the designated TPg programmes (i.e. have accepted the offer with deposit paid by the time they submit the application for the Scheme).
- Each applicant can only submit one application for the Scheme.
- Submit an application for the Scheme, together with a copy of the HKID card and supporting documents as requested, to the respective Programme Office by the deadline set by individual Programmes.
- Programme Office and the Faculty Office to review the applications and submit the nominations to the Graduate School.
- Fellowships result will be announced to awardees by early July 2020.